I think on the old suntours, youd have 3 closely spaced holes on the base
where you could plug the shifter body into. Meaning you could only rotate
it a small amount and were reliant on the placement of those 3 holes. I
think the idea here is that with indentations all the way around, the
shifter body could be rotated any way, which would make mounting them in
interesting ways way easier.