There is no question that building bikes in batches brings the price down
and ties up cash in inventory.  The easy thing to do in theory that is hard
in practice, is to have a good solid number that represents your absolute
max possible inventory in dollars.  For the sake of argument, let's say
that number is 1 million dollars.  Any small business that thinks their MAX
inventory might be $1M, needs to keep enough cash on-hand such that their
Current Inventory + Current Cash >= $1M.  That way, no matter what you need
to buy, no matter what bills need to be paid, you'll have the cash on hand
to do it.  This means you have to have a good ceiling number, you have to
have the disciplne to gather and maintain that right amount of cash on
hand, and you have to have the discipline to never violate your ceiling
number.  The bigger the business, the harder that is.  A tiny operation
like Black Mountain Cycles does a good job of that.  Mike brings in a batch
of frames when he needs them, and always has the cash on hand to pay for
them.  He's got a good number, and good discipline, and never scrambles,
but he also only has two models of frame.  OK 2.5 models, but soon to be
4.5 models.  More importantly, he has one employee, himself.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA