Bill-

Salsa measures their bars pretty accurately; a 46 cm Cowchipper is 46 cm
between the center of the bar at the top of each drop.  However, since the
bars flare outward throughout the drop curve, the brake hoods are already
at like 50 cm, and the ends of the bars are at like 54 cm.

On the 42 cm Cowchippers, the brake hoods are around 46 cm wide and the bar
ends are around 50 cm.  That feels better to me on an
all-rounder/gravel/cross bike.  Wider might feel better on a drop-MTB or
monster cross.