Over the last few years, I've been a reasonably low-carb person.  I
generally steer clear of pizza, rice, bread, but my discipline has been far
from perfect.  Things were working out fine, in that I wasn't gaining the 1
pound a year that people tell me I'm supposed to be gaining throughout my
40s.  I've been holding at 180, which was acceptable but not ideal.  This
winter I decided: I've spent long enough treading water as a 180 pounder.
I'm a 155 pounder with 25 pounds of unnecessary cargo.  I decided I was
going to drop 20 pounds, and this past week I've made it there, dropping
below 160 for maybe the first time this century.  There have been a few
changes that might have contributed to success. I'm drinking a lot less
beer, and a lot less booze in general. My exercise routine has included
much more short and intense efforts as a coach of the high school mountain
bike team.  I've also done more to think about the way that I tend to think
about food. Just like with drinking alcohol, I find that I have the urge to
eat when I'm bored, or have downtime. I've tried to keep myself occupied
more, and I've endeavored to break that mental connection so I don't start
snacking every time there's a calm moment.

A few weeks back I did a 200k with SFRandonneurs, and I really noticed a
difference in my appetite.  For the first time, I kind of had to force
myself to eat.  I had packed four Lara Bars for a 9 hour ride, and I went
ahead and ate one at 50k, at 100k and at 150k, just because it seemed like
a good idea to put some food in.  I wonder if I've reached some level of
fat-burning, and have largely broken the sugar-dependence where I don't get
super ravenous.

So, Winter is almost over and we haven't fought about EBDJ all winter long,
I don't think.  It's a datapoint of one but I'm doing fine with very little
bread, rice, etc.  I enjoy a cut up apple with almond butter for desert.  I
plop a huge scoop of coconut oil in my morning coffee.  I'm eating lots of
roasted veggies and raw veggies.  I'll throw a fried egg on any meal.  I
eat lots of nuts and seeds.  I make bacon on Saturday mornings, typically.
My 34 inch waist pants no longer fit.  I just bought a couple pairs of 32s
and one pair of 30s.  The 30s are snug, and I call them "the motivator" to
get me the rest of the way to 155, where I'll probably stop and hold.  Set
a goal and make it happen.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA