Hi everybody on both sides of the fence and sitting on it, too--
I wrote the book but am not trying to push it here. I wrote it because I
don't LIKE to talk about diet stuff, so it was sort of my one-shot. I'm
piping up here (violating "one shot"), but it won't be my usual long post.
To keep it short means being direct, which doesn't always come off well,
but I'll try for "short and soft," which doesn't sound all that good,
either.

EBDJ synthesizes a lot of stuff in a few short, to-the-point chapters.

The introduction is long, and in it I tell my own history with
diet/exercise--which is bound to be different than yours in some ways, but
if you're a typical somewhat ageing cyclist who is adding pounds over the
years despite riding a fair among, you'll be able to relate.

The average "chapter" is about 300 words, and most adults read close to
that per minute. If you aren't up to the whole book, read at least these
five numbered entries,which total fewer than 1,700 words and will take you
about 8 minutes if you dwell some:

83: It's about the architecture of digestive systems in the animal world
(excludes the internationally known Venus fly trap!)
84: Specifically about human guts
85: What your guts are good and bad at.
91: Diabetes primer. How Type 2 diabetes creeps up on you. This may help
your family accept a shift in diet.
92: kind of the ABC's of blood sugar testing...a good way to keep an eye on
diabetes as it creeps up on you

Whether it's "paleo" or "keto" or "primal" or whatever, the shift is away
from foods that jack up your blood sugar and make you fatter,
diabetes-prone, and hungry all at the same time. The mainstream media, in
addressing this while at the same time trying not to bum out its audience,
tends to take a softer-core stance on carbs than I do (surprise!): Where
they say, "try to cut back on refined carbohydrates and overly processed
junk foods and sugary sodas," I have chapters titled, "All corn is candy
corn," and "The Fruit Ruse," and "The Whole Grain Ruse."

Those titles alone will turn off many, but the message in them all is the
same. It is to see past a food's commercial image, and see it in terms of
its sugar load.

At Rivendell, every birthday gets celebrated with the person's choice of
restaurants, and we take out for all. The most popular one is Indian. I eat
the red chicken, I pluck the cauliflower out of the (sp?) alu gobi, and I
slurry it around in some of the thick lentil mush, which I love. I don't
eat the nan. Others eat it all, some avoid the chicken. It's not as easy
when the cook is unaware of your sugarphobia, but if you aren't already
diabetic, or "pre-diabetic," a slice of cake won't kill you. Two might, but
not one. Not right there at the table, at least. Ha!