Valdipino - my daughter and I were caught together in a monsoon one day and
each had them - they were perfect.
In lighter rain, I can certainly live without them, and will either wear
the lightest shell or go wet.
One thought about vented helmets - the run-off through your helmet and hair
can temporarily blind you, but a Halo sweat band has a runoff channel that
keeps your eyes seeing fine and not burning in the heaviest rain.
I carry the Halo sweatband on every bike.