About the length.  I've mentioned on a couple of other threads the mod I
made to my Map bar cockpit over the winter - using Nitto 2-70 lamp holder
and MTB bar ends -  while I had it on indoor trainer duty.  The goal then
was just to get another body position and use different muscles.

<https://imgur.com/bz87gtX.jpg> <https://imgur.com/CmlgN6e.jpg>
<https://imgur.com/wOiiuFm.jpg>

After I got this on the road last month, fell in love with it, and don't
know how I ever lived without it.

<https://imgur.com/J5BykBW.jpg>

Hooking thumbs on the MTB bar ends or grabbing the leather wrap to stand
and climb solves the twitchiness on the wide-bar grips.

I though about using mini-MTB-bar-ends to just have the thumb hook
position.

But after I got it on the road, discovered the very best aero tuck facing a
beating headwind was grabbing the full bar ends, so I left it as is.