Matt, are you sure you don't mean a fixed gear? Braking with a single speed
equipped with caliper brakes is the same as braking with a bike with a
derailleur. If you are not used to braking on a fixed gear and simply stop
your pedaling motion when you apply the brake, you may nearly do a header.
Need to remember not to relax the legs during braking (ie, do not try to
simply stop pedaling and coast) but instead to actively engage the muscles
in resistance to the forward rotations of the crank. If the Fuji was stock
it's very likely it was a fixed and not single speed. I'm sure you know the
difference but sometimes people use the terms interchangeably, and, while
most fixed gear bikes have a single speed, they are generally not referred
to as single speed. Jeez, I sound pedantic. But oh well. Happy Sunday!