I'm going to take exception with Patrick, in that, you'll never crack any
fender unless you install it with external residual stress (and yes, he
admitted that).
I have one set of Honjos that has been on two bikes, for many, many
thousands of miles - wrecked on the 1st bike, reshaped the S-shaped front
fender to install them on the second bike.
Honjos take very well to shaping compound curves.  Spread them every inch
or so to tighten the radius, squeeze, etc.to increase the radius.

<https://imgur.com/5uXqCmt.jpg>

I don't hesitate to ride the bike in slop, but on my Compass slicks, and
the reason I don't care about the slop is I use tire wipers where most put
their mud guards.  They reject everything from the fenders and scrape
occasional mud from the tires, preventing the fenders from plugging.  Zero
noise on gravel roads.  That said, not intended for riding in mud, but
dealing with intermittent mud patches

<https://imgur.com/rhRHsdD.jpg> <https://imgur.com/RPmMrBf.jpg>

Jan didn't like this, but for Many (thousand) miles, it works fine.  Have
flipped the front scraper backwards, and it simply deflects out of the
way.  It rejects rocks, sticks, chert and most of the mud from entering the
fender.

I don't think I'd use any fenders with knobbies.  I think I'd go with
mountain bike type mudguards for knobbies.