Hi, William, and thanks so much for the response!

Unfortunately, I'm actually not mystified by bicycle geometry. :-)  I work
in a bike shop and if I'm around always work with the shorter women who
come in hoping to be fit on road bikes (and I've trained all the other
staff and mechanics to understand the issues). I also have experience with
other models of Rivendells -- between my boyfriend and me, we have three
(one for me; two for the boyfriend).  We visit the SF Bay Area at least
once a year to see family and always take a ride to visit Rivendell HQ.

Unfortunately, the new 47cm Atlantis frame -- if the ETT of 54cm is correct
-- will not work for me (even with the nicely slack seat-tube angle) _if I
would like to use drop bars_.  It's a lovely frame, and perhaps in 20 years
or so I may prefer swept-back bars on a beautifully designed,
somewhat-rough-stuff all-rounder, but not at this time.

It's unfortunate (for me and for similarly height-challenged women who
could probably justify a $1,600 frame but who would have a harder time
justifying a nearly $3,000 one!), but there are far great tragedies in the
world!

Enjoying the list/forum, and always happy when I check in to read the
updates. I wish Rivendell a long and prosperous future! All the best,

Elisabeth Sherwood
Washington, DC