Patrick,

I can't point to a causative event, only a hazy recollection of some vague
sound that could have been from the rear fender as its mounting tab rotated
a few degrees with the caliper under braking which did not register as the
process of breaking loose.

I've been all over the bike in the last year (almost to the day) when I
changed the brakes to Paul Racers and replaced the fenders. If it has been
gradual, I wasn't seeing cracks in the finish surface being telegraphed to
the surface so I imagine that if it was festering there was some moment
that brought the it to fruition.

It was only when I had it in my work stand and stopped the rear wheel with
the brake to quickly check brake cable tension for lever feel and caught
the flop of the rear caliper which first registered in my mind as something
to do with to a loose mounting bolt. Maybe stopping the unloaded wheel in
the stand did it. Know way to know.

Time to mop up spilled milk, and tears. Waiting to hear from Michael at
Maestro Frameworks whose shop is a block from the house our young friend my
wife and I mentor lives.

Andy Cheatham
Pittsburgh