Thank you for the kind words to all who approve of my new Legolas, and
thank you for the discretion to all those who disapprove.  This build
started as a conceptual Rivendell Custom, but in my conversations with Mark
and Grant, this is where that ended up.  My intent was to build my favorite
Rivendell, and I'm very pleased with how it turned out.  My build is
complete now.  I added black Newbaums with two coats of shellac and a
carbon water bottle cage.  I swapped out the silver steel water bottle
bolts for black alloy ones.  The total weight is 19.4 pounds and ready to
roll.  I might have to wait until Monday to actually take it on a proper
ride, since I'm prepping for another race-day tomorrow.

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-sh06k3DFX4k/WtJRpY_sFcI/AAAAAAAAD1Q/OrNz_Lwf_bMM9e4QJo5JQ4MDgIhluKUYQCLcBGAs/s1600/IMG_4090.JPG>

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-GMIvczU7vm8/WtJRxKT54JI/AAAAAAAAD1U/TK8NVAic-QEUUWpSiQlWOLfE2EcV-ek6wCLcBGAs/s1600/IMG_4089.JPG>

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-UhBeiktBs54/WtJR7utIQZI/AAAAAAAAD1Y/0x-Z2QFPx0YjwYnDk6CjZj0Dp_Uk0XlxgCLcBGAs/s1600/IMG_4101.JPG>

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-2tflmbxmStQ/WtJSIsqCqsI/AAAAAAAAD1g/Oiiwj1DfDDUJwzwuHUO-2DnG4NkUz0ORwCLcBGAs/s1600/IMG_4100.JPG>

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-FqMppm9xqTY/WtJSOowzJQI/AAAAAAAAD1k/FRFyWleHLvIFYXWm-z7hNvvZxPSntyDXACLcBGAs/s1600/IMG_4097.JPG>

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-rLPRPOLphiM/WtJSVlI_8PI/AAAAAAAAD1s/uoNsQw1sDIUdVGRnDNRJJykZHPQi2ItGwCLcBGAs/s1600/IMG_4095.JPG>
Now my stable is packed to bursting.  I have a lot more bikes than a normal
person needs, but every bike has its purpose and place in my life, and I
don't think there are any that I'm planning on actively ignoring or passing
over.  Nobody asked, but in case you are curious, there is a downtube cable
housing stop for a front derailer, so I have a 2x drivetrain option for the
future if I decide I want more gears and more range.  The tiny build detail
that is on my bike that I've never seen before was a special touch Mark
performed when prepping the frame for me.  I have fender attachment points
at the seatstay and chainstay bridges (normal).  You want to plug those
holes with bolts so mud and rain don't get in there and rust outward
(normal).  Mark installed tiny M5x0.8mm stainless grub screws, instead of
water bottle bolts.  In the last photo you can see my seatstay bridge and
you can see where the fender will attach, but you can't see the tiny grub
screw plugging the hole.  It's SUPER clean, and an incredibly nice touch.
I'm going to go buy some of those grub screws for that application on my
future builds.  Thanks Mark!

Again, the color is called "amethyst smoke" which reminded me of Mel
Torme's nickname "The Velvet Fog".  I might call my bike "Mel Torme".  I
also thought about calling him "Sal", short for Salogel, (Legolas
backwards).  That name occurred to me because Rivendell can't promote any
LotR named bikes, but they already have the Legolas artwork.  They should
mirror image the Legolas artwork and do a run of Salogel cyclocross race
bikes for us to buy.

Happy Spring

Bill amethyst-smoke Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA