Thanks for the reminder! This is especially pertinent as a lot of us ride
with functional fenders, that obscure quick visual inspection of rear
tires. I know I've been occasionally surprised by how much my rear tires
have worn, although thankfully not to the extent you've experienced.

Before the release of the Naches Pass tires, I used the McClure Pass tires
extensively and exclusively, for commuting, weekend riding and even a
couple of brevets on my Atlantis. I did get a pretty nasty cut on one (that
was fairly new at that time), but barring such catastrophic failure modes,
they seemed to wear quite well. I regrettably did not keep accurate records
of mileage, but I would be surprised if they did not easily exceed 2000
miles with those thick Pasela treads and durable rubber compound. These
tires were on my "daily" bike, I've only ever bought three, and the
surviving pair was beginning to yellow over time as skinwalls tend to do. I
will say that I prefer the Naches Pass (standard casing) over McClure Pass
tires, as the former seem to roll noticeably better (subjective – I have no
data), and have acceptable toughness and grip even over reasonable
mixed-terrain routes.