Hi folks, I'll be traveling from Austin to Los Angeles in a few short weeks
for a fellowship at the Huntington Library, and am between bringing a
"beater" aluminum 29er I could build up from spare parts or my trusty BMC
Monstercross, currently set up as a "dinglespeed" with 43c gravel tires. I
can handle most of the Austin hills pretty handily, and really enjoy riding
the BMC on local singletrack (not too many rock gardens, just the faster,
flowy stuff).

My question is, will I be able to fully enjoy the trails near LA on a
singlespeed, cross-style bike, or am I displaying a bit of hubris and
should just bring the more traditional mountain bike for the climbing
gears? I'll be commuting to the Huntington as well and don't want anything
too flashy lest it be stolen. Local perspectives would be welcome!

All best,
Reid in Austin