Agreed... I think that is why I cling to the older style frames, though I
am tiring of the chase there.  I just measured my favorite (road) bike, a
650B conversion that works incredibly well, and it is 62cm ST (ctc) with a
57cm level TT, 10cm Nitto stem...  If it ever came to that, lottery
winnings in hand(!),  I might just send it off to a builder and ask them to
build me the same bike, with only a few more braze-ons and a few minor
tweaks.

That said, the Rivendell bikes have always worked really well for me, not
that I have had that many, and never the Waterford or custom versions.  My
Appaloosa is a a truly excellent bike, a little heavy with my touring build
but that's mostly on me.  I had a Romulus that I still miss (a 61cm).

I totally agree on the effective TT length and reach being really
important.  I have bikes sized between 58-63cm (ST) but they all fall
between 58-60cm TT.  Well, the Appaloosa does not, but a 6cm stem brought
the bars back in.  And I will say the newer, sloping top tube Riv's help
get a level bars/saddle height balance that I prefer.

Bob