My wife and I used to tour on our tandem with just a pair of extremely large
home made front panniers. We would tour for up to a month at a time with that
setup. I certainly preferred the handling with that setup compared to having
the load split front and rear. You do need a rack that can take the load,
though. We broke a couple of Blackburn lowrider racks before buying a Bruce
Gordon, which is still going strong over 30 years later.

Here's a photo taken on a three week tour of Tasmania.

http://www.users.on.net/~njpayne/bikestuff/swtas.jpg