The catalog go into who gonna make what bikes where for how much and how
good they are. What it doesn't say (on p.4, the page that addresses this)
got left out not to sneak, but for two other reasons--easy to read bad
stuff into it, and there wasn't enough space to nuance it so you wouldn't.
It is that for Homers and Atlantises we have a longer leash/fewer design
restrictions in Taiwan than we do now in America. As the designs e- or
de-volve (as we're all free to see it!), we here at RBW find ourselves
drifting over to the sources that can happily and expertly pull off all the
dimensions and details, and then deliver frames we can sell for $1,100 or
so less.
It's counter-everything you've been reared to believe, that quality and
value can go up as price goes down, but there you go.

Top tube slopes are always going to be a concern, but as somebody pointed
out, rather than paint horizontal as THE "classic" or so style, it's better
to say it was the common style for 32 years beginning 1950. I don't know
how precise those dates are, but they make the point that historically, top
tube slopes have been all over the map (protractor?). We're not shooting
for "the 1890s look" or anything like that. It's more like we're not making
bikes to conform to an era that was characterized by explosive growth and
maturation of cycling in America, which copied for good and for bad the
racing styles of the day.

Rivendells end up being a mix of tradition and irreverence, which means we
disappoint those who want us to keep the flame juiced and be the
Poghliaghis of Walnut Creek; and we're too backwards for the Scatante
carbon-disc crowd. I don't see our bikes as a compromised combo. They hit a
good spot, but it has to be a spot that feels good to be hit, and it's not
one of those for everybody---which isn't to say I don't wish it was or
don't think it ought to be, just that it can't be. We're lucky to be here,
recently saved and thankful, and on we go, comrades!