Tim-

St. Sheldon's dogma is pretty conservative in the regard of "proper tire
width for a given rim width".
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html
(Width Considerations chart is the red/green one most of the way down the
page)

However, many folks have ridden many millions of miles on 2" (54 mm) tires
on 17 mm internal rims -- because that was pretty much all there were at
the dawn of MTB/ATB/Trekking bikes.

The risk with a too-wide tire is the same as that of an under-inflated
tire: risk of the tire folding over when turning aggressively.
Keep your PSI above ~25 and you shouldn't have that problem with RTPs on an
Atlas rim.