I'm with you... I am not a fan of V-brakes at all as far as aesthetics go.
Looks like someone ran out of brakes and slapped on a mountain bike part
they had laying around the garage.
Canti's or standard road brakes for me. :)
Then again, I don't do heavy loaded touring where every ounce of brake
performance makes a difference.