Not NYC, but I live in s. Texas and ride the hill country and San Antonio.
We can have really wet sloppy seasons, though it's never reliable on the
calendar - it's mostly dependent on El Nino and La Nina in the Pacific.
I have 4 bikes, two with full-time fenders, and a third with clip fenders.
Already mentioned, the best thing fenders do is keep drivetrains clean -
chains free of sand, etc.
I get  your point about big tires, but will tackle the appearance thing
first - here shorty fenders - these things actually work - they keep road
dirt from all those slots in CP brakes
Next to it, same bike - finally got my Honjos moved onto it - no hit on the
looks.

<https://imgur.com/2M0EDXO.jpg> <https://imgur.com/FSjtRwq.jpg>

Have you thought about removable fenders such as Raceblade
XL?  https://www.sks-germany.com/en/products/raceblade-pro-xl/
I have these on and off my 3rd fender bike, along with a PDW Origami
(front) mud guard on the seat tube to make them near-enough full-coverage.
Two minutes to install, 30 seconds to remove, adequate coverage on my 38mm
Barlows

<https://imgur.com/nFDc91R.jpg> <https://imgur.com/NiTTeYa.jpg>

This is how much sand stuck to the mud guard from one slop ride.

<https://imgur.com/AGsMVEi.jpg> without this setup, half of that would have
ended up on the