".. the moderation ship has sailed"

That's the exact sentence you have used it in the book.

I'm not diabetic, but I know it is not too far if I were to continue my old
food-style.   Every time I'm about to serve myself some rice at dinner
table or consider bread slices/bagels/muffins at breakfast or that 'once is
a blue moon' (sure!) desert, that sentence of wisdom pops into my head.
 It's been incredibly helpful!