Thanks Tom, Mezcals look good too. As it turns out, it looks like I’ll be
trying 29x2.2 Continental MountainKings, however, after a couple things sealed
the deal today.  It seems some have experienced sidewall problems (per some
online reviews) with seeping sealant when going tubeless with these but I have
no immediate plans for going tubeless so it’s a non-issue for me.

First, the Mountainkings were available at a discount that was too good to pass
on.  I’ve had a few other items on the checklist and conveniently found them at
a deep discount at the same place as the other items.  Second, after getting in
my longest ride for the year earlier today and with widely mixed surfaces I
found I was really wishing I had that extra tread/traction in several areas,
especially a section of single track that I finally figured out how to fully
connect to another frequent route.  I also experienced more stop and go road
crossings than usual and determined with my current bottom bracket height if I
went with tires much wider i’d end up raising it too high to comfortably stop
and plant my feet when riding with my son.  So that realization clearly ruled
out the Surly ETs and anything wider than 2.2 or so anyway.  Considering I’d
successfully ridden 26x2” exclusively for the first 15 years or so of my adult
cycling on a rigid mtb I’m also realizing I don’t necessarily need the extra
width despite the temptation with current tire offerings and Clem clearances.

Thanks,
Brian