Erik, I bought an Ogre with 29 x 2.2 to try out the big wheel, rode the
Great Divide on it, then bought a Hunq and moved the parts, sold that and
now touring on a '92 Trek 930w/26 x 2.35 Big Apples and am very satisfied.
My rough stuff all rounder is a new to me Trek 830 that I just bought off
the Bob list. its not slowing me down and if you ever fly to a tour,
packing  a 26" wheeled bike is much easier, especially a large frame. Steve

On Sat, Jun 9, 2018 at 1:59 PM Erik Wright <erik.s.wri...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Alright y'all, help me work out this inner quandary I've had over getting
> a new bike or not (to replace one in my stable). The demo Hunqs shown on
> the blug are really making my insides jump at the thought of a 29er Hunq
> for offroad riding/bikepacking.
>
> I have 4 bikes, and I've tried specializing each (to an extent) because in
> essence 3 of them are all-rounder type frames. I've turned one of them, a
> 26er XO-1 clone, into my off-road tourer. 2.1" knobbies for trails, RTP for
> roads/gravel, frame bag, front panniers, Swift saddle bag, On-One Mary bars
> + Ergon grips, the whole getup. Recently I've been dabbling into resources
> around 27.5 and 29er bikes for bikepacking (i.e. Surly Bridge Club and
> Hunq), feeling that my 26er might not be the best choice nowadays in
> today's landscape of bike options, falling short in the jack-of-all-trades
> master-of-none kind of way.
>
> What I keep telling myself is the old adage that really, any bike will do
> the trick (for the most part), and that my 26er XO-1 clone is a fine bike
> for off-road touring. Plus, people rode (and ride) 26" MTBs for a loooong
> time and all was good. I don't ride offroad *that* much, but nowadways
> when I plan multi-day trips they're geared toward mixed terrain**. I don't
> doubt that a jump from my XO-1 clone to a Hunq would in itself make a huge
> difference in ride quality, but in terms of wheel size, would swapping to a
> 29er really make that big a difference?
>
> Thank you for your insight!
>
> Erik in Philly
>
> **Right now I'm in the midst of planning to ride a portion of the Idaho
> Hot Springs MTB route in September.

Steven Sweedler
Plymouth, New Hampshire