Is there any reason to believe longer (i.e., Riv-long) chainstays would be
a good feature on an MTB? Didn't the Bombadil have relatively short ones?
Many rigid MTB builders such as Waltworks insist on shorter stays. Now, MTB
can include many variations of riding off-road, so I suppose there could be
vastly different designs for each style of riding. Does LONNGGGG have a
place in there somewhere? I personally can't see how long chainstays would
be a good fit on a trail bike.

KJ