I just became a Rivendell owner last fall when I bought a new Appaloosa. I
was so impressed with that bike, and loved riding it so much, that I wanted
to replicate that super comfortable, smooth ride on my long-distance road
bike. I wanted to try a more road-ish Riv, and when the pre-sale for the
new canti-Sams opened up, I couldn't resist. I had intended Sam to be a
straight up replacement for my current drop bar road bike that I really do
like, but that I had struggled to get comfortable on. Sam had other ideas,
though...

I first built it with 44cm Noodles that I had on hand, but even with the
Riv-recommended 8cm stem (that I worried would be too short), I felt way
too stretched out and uncomfortable. The first few rides I took on this
setup were not fun. I thought the bike handled weird - the front end felt
sort of squirrely. To be honest, I was pretty disappointed. After a quick
mock up with some old Nitto moustache bars I had, I decided to order a set
of Albastache bars from Riv.

Sam Hillborne with Albastache bars is the most comfortable, fun bike I have
ever ridden. (Right next to my Appaloosa, of course.) I love the more
upright position, the sweep, the angles, the width, everything. The curves
are great to sit and grind out the miles, but the ends offer a very
comfortable upright position to alternate with as well. I was nervous that
my enthusiasm would be squashed once the rides got longer, but I've done
enough long rides in the last few weeks to be confident that these are the
bars for this bike. I have no desire to go back to drops. These bars
changed the bike, and my whole outlook on bikes in general. I realize that
I don't have to have drop bars to ride long distances, or to be a "serious"
cyclist (whatever that means). This is such a big deal to me, because my
biggest struggle since I started riding has been fit/comfort on longer
rides.

This bike was originally intended to be just another road bike. I feel like
what I have is so much more. At first I was worried, because I was not as
fast on the Sam as my lighter drop bar bike, but who cares? Now, I only
want to ride the Hillborne. When I ride this bike, I find myself not caring
how fast I'm going, or about anything except enjoying the ride. When I'm on
it, I just want to keep going. I can't think of a better compliment for a
bike. This bike (and these bars) have completed my transformation to
unracer.

I realize after re-reading the above that it might sound like I am saying
Sam Hillborne is a slow bike. It is not. The Sam that I built, with heavier
touring style wheels, and upright-ish bars is definitely not as fast as my
more traditional stripped down drop bar road bike, but it's a heck of a lot
more comfortable, useful, and fun. How fast is Sam Hillborne? My answer
after putting a few hundred miles on it: Fast enough.

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-2zow66nUWdA/WyGoWHD0lOI/AAAAAAAAI2Y/CZFyLe12ES0Wf6PV8ulnWKhwUhMzmiyyQCL4CGAYYCw/s1600/IMG_20180613_060732404.jpg>

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-b1V_CfptcC8/WyGoWH4NVxI/AAAAAAAAI2Y/5Icf5TDtSGs92dH_IkGzCDVZyy5roW5kwCL4CGAYYCw/s1600/IMG_20180525_103238167.jpg>

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-qGaJKMqRvzk/WyGoWEmCLnI/AAAAAAAAI2Y/l9YfW-CJ_2keXQl10-WtPy8mTsqGcRGfACL4CGAYYCw/s1600/IMG_20180613_055247721_HDR.jpg>