I'm new to tubeless, too, and still carry a tube and patch kit out of 'old
fart' habit (plus tire plugs), which I guess kinda defeats the whole purpose.
The advantage I discovered last week was getting a rear flat OH MAN THIS SUCKS,
then after watching sealant spew for a few seconds, it stopped and I finished
my ride. Amazing! Added 20 psi back at home and all is good.

Yes you can stuff a tube in there, I wouldn't worry about scraping out sealant
unless it's really gooped up.

I recommend watching some YouTube videos about installing tubeless tires
instead of taking it back to the shop. It looks like kind of a hassle but
realistically isn't much more so than installing tube tires, we're just used to
the latter. You'll get your tire resealed and will be up on how all this works.
I haven't done this yet, but need to.