Some good points have been raised here, and I'll echo the advice to ride
what you have until it doesn't work for you.

I've been riding a Heron Road (bought from Riv in 1998 or so) over mixed
terrain (including gravel) with 700 x 28 tires 20 years and have only JUST
converted it to 650 x 38. While I'm super happy with it, I really can't say
I was ever crazy unhappy with the 28s.

I have recently added an Appaloosa to the mix because I found the Heron
didn't handle well fully loaded with front/rear racks and bags. Start by
doing what you want on the San Marcos and see what you think. I'd be
willing to guarantee that you won't hurt the frame in any way doing so.

Hugh "underbiking" Flynn
Newburyport, MA

On Thu, Jul 12, 2018 at 12:09 AM Drw <drewbeckme...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I’m about 180lbs, so not a featherweight. At one time I had a hunqapillar,
> Sam and 1983 specialized expedition. I loved the hunq loaded but didn’t
> like it unloaded. In comparison the expedition was great unloaded and
> wobbly with a heavy load. The Sam was a happy medium but I wanted bigger
> clearances, v brakes (this was before the new versions came out) and not
> 700c wheels, so I sold all of the above and got a Waterford Atlantis. It’s
> more hunqapillar than Sam, but it’s pretty close to a 1 bike for me.  If I
> was lighter, I probably would go with something g like the ocean air
> rambler or a crust lightning bolt.

Hugh Flynn
Newburyport, MA