I don't have one, so can only speculate, but Sam Hillbornes are supposedly
somewhere in between the Homer and the Atlantis on the stoutness scale. Now
that they're offered with canti/V brake posts, they supposedly clear 48mm
tires too. They also build up great as touring, trail, or road bikes.

I feel you on the featherweight thing. I'm between 5' 11" and 6 feet, at
about 140 pounds or less. Most bikes my size these days are way sturdier
than I need, even loaded. I wonder what people take with them touring. I've
never brought more than 30 pounds, even in the mountains for 5 days. I
guess cans of beer add up pretty quick!

Both my bikes are standard diameter tubing. A 1983 Trek 520, with
.09/.06/.09 Reynolds 501 tubing, and a 1987 Trek Antelope with Tange
unbutted .09 tubing. They feel pretty right to me, and I like the look of
skinny tubes too.

Eamon
Seattle