Hey, Mat! The shift to a toeclip pedal is going well. Some of it you can read
about here:
https://thegrid.ai/withabandon/pedals-and-shoes-for-feet-shaped-feet-and-fixed-gear-riding

I’ll likely do another post after I’ve bikepacked with the Rinko MKS Urban
pedals. I love how they feel underfoot, give better clearence all round, and
ride. My plan is on long LCG sections, which are the hardest on pedals/clips as
the fixed gear pedals spin over the roughest trails bashing into rocks and
roots that can’t be avoided with the weight of my full bike less engine, to
remove the pedals because that takes ten seconds each and 20 seconds each to
reattach them, so they don’t get bashed nearly as much.

As for thoughts on midfoot vs. forefoot pedaling, I’d say they are roughly
equal in most ways (power/torque generation) given proper setup of stiff or
soft shoes, grip, etc, but that my mid-foot pedaling has less capacity to spin
fast than my forefoot pedaling capacity does. I suspect this is biomechanical
because mid-foot pedaling eliminates the ankle as a pivot point, and the ankle
pivot makes fast spinning noticably smoother (180+ rpm, or 28-30 mph in a 61”
gear, 20mph in a 47” gear, based on speed zone radar readings. I don’t use a
computer.)

With abandon,
Patrick