Regardless of the truth of either version of the comment, in my experience it's entirely irrelevant: although I've come upon riders in club rides with loose threadless headsets, I have yet to find one rider in any of those groups who had the first idea how to go about adjusting a threadless headset (other than taking the bike to a bike shop).