On Wednesday, July 25, 2018 at 5:10:40 PM UTC-6, Philip Williamson wrote:

> Why wouldn't a dropper post work on a mixte frame?
>
> Philip
> Santa Rosa, CA

By nature, a dropper post needs a fair amount of extension above the top of
the seat tube in order to function. Grant said there would be tons of
standover clearance on the new bike, but I guess we don't really know what
that means.  If it was/is achieved by the "normal" mountain bike means of
radically-sloped top tube, short seat tube and lots of seatpost extension,
then a dropper would work.  But it seems like most of the Rivendell mixtes
I've seen (true mixtes with both mid- and seat- stays) have seat tubes that
are sized comparable to a road bike and, as a result, have very little
exposed seatpost in practice.  If anything (thinking of Grant's own
Cheviott) people often choose to size up on the frame, and then have even
less than normal seatpost extension.

Grant's right though.  Hite Rite was actually the "first," and I'm glad to
know those are still available!