I'm running 44/28 up front with 11-32 in the back and a Microshift R10 rear
derailer.  I know it's only rated for 28T, but it works great with the
11-32.

I spend close to 99% of my time in the 44.  I did use the 28 yesterday a
few times for climbing out of some Hill Country river valleys in 95F heat
with dead tired legs.

I don't know if small/small would work and honestly I don't care to try it
except maybe in the stand.