I would verify that the existing wheels are 700c.  The early 80's Trek
720's were, I believe, spec'ed with 27" wheels.  If it uses caliper brakes
(which I have seen on some 728's), then it could be no problem.  If his 720
has cantilevers, a conversion from 27" to 700c is possible but can make
brake choice an issue.

Might be worth verifying what is on there now.  I do have some very nice,
well built 36h, 126mm 700c wheels if you want more specifics.

Thanks,

Bob