btw, it's hat-city around here, living in the S. Texas sun.  On a bike, I'm
happy with my Bell Metro and enough visor to peer into the sun.  But then
just never spend a full day on a bike around here except in the winter -
always ride in the morning.
But do spend long days in kayaks in the coast flats, and wading hill
country limestone creeks.  Stocked up on Tilley, Akubra, Milano, Panamas,
even Art Fawcett VS Custom, and a 40-y-o karma canvas brim - the side used
to snap Aussie style, making it great for riding in power boats.
Brims make so much since for the sun, weather, just look down a little to
bust brush.
And agree on an organized trip. one hat is never enough - always bring at
least two.