Got it. I noticed the canti clarification as I clicked post, but I still
wasn't sure why it mattered. Makes sense now. My canti conversion to 622 is
the worst stopping bike I have, but there are so many potential reasons for
that (pads aren't nice, cable hangers are whack, straddle cable hanger is
also whack, cables haven't been adjusted since I built the bike, etc.).
I'll try adjusting things before I write it off. The pads hit the rim just
fine at least. I'm using some of those old Shimano cantis that everyone
recommends. Anyway, I'll keep the MA in mind when I adjust things, but no
need to share photos of my brake butchery at the moment. Sorry for
derailing the thread.

Paul