Many years ago when I lived in Davis, a local rider knocked his top-
tube mounted pump loose while riding along.  It jammed into the front
wheel, sending him over the bars.  He died on the spot.  I knocked TT
mounted pumps loose a couple of times myself while reaching for a
bottle or a shifter.  I no longer will use a TT pump mount, I don't
think it's the safest place for a pump.  It looks like the Roadeo has
a pump peg on the head tube.  Accident waiting to happen?

Also back in those years, my (then) sister-in-law was riding a bike
without toe clips.  She stood to get started from a stop sign, her
foot slipped forward off of teh pedal and went through the front wheel
(between the spokes), wedging behind the fork.  She was thrown forward
and went down hard enough that a traffic cop that saw her fall called
an ambulance.  In the ER her belly was so tender they took a fluid
sample and found internal bleeding.  She was immediately taken to the
ER, where they opened her up and had to sew up a tear in her liver
caused by her hitting the stem.  I don't ride without foot retention,
having had a few near accidents myself due to a foot coming off of a
pedal at an inopportune time.  I commute with toe clips, and ride
Speedplay x's or Frogs the rest of the time.  Grant actively promotes
riding without retention, I feel it's *much* safer to use at least a
toe clip.

When I went looking for a new club-sport bike a year ago, I couldn't
afford a new custom, and the Roadeo was not yet announced.  I looked
at a fair number of steel frames on CL and ebay, but none were close
enough to giving my the fit I wanted (bars up close to saddle height
with a shortish top tube).  I thought maybe it would be fun to try a
Ti frame, and a few have been made that might have fit, but in every
case the fork was carbon.  What I wound up finding was a lightly-used
Calfee at a very good price.  The sizing was perfect (2 cm head tube
extension, 56 x 56, 73 deg parallel).  I can't find any history of
Calfee's frames failing randomly, nor have I found reports of
incidents related to the Easton fork.  So far, I have had no problems
with the bike and find it both fast and comfortable (even though the
fork limits me to 25 mm tires).

I only use the Calfee for sporting, unloaded bike club rides on paved
roads.  I have other bikes (Riv Road, Kogswell P/R, Miyata 1000) for
other riding.  Do I feel unsafe on this bike?  No, not really.  I do
baby it when I'm not riding it, and keep a close eye on it, but the
frame is conservatively designed and has a long track record.  The
fork is the most likely failure point, and my plan is to inspect it
regularly, and perhaps to replace it after a few season's use.  Should
I buy a new fork, one likely candidate would be a Wound-Up, which is
available with a steel steerer.  I could replace the fork twice over
and still have spent less than a new Roadeo frame would cost.

There are many potential risks in cycling.  I think that the risks
involved with sharing the road with automobiles, with descending steep
hills at high speeds, with riding close in a paceline, and with riding
lightweight tires that can flat at speed outweigh those from riding a
*well-designed* composite bike.

Just my opinion,

Bill