A quick report on two recent topics:

Been riding a 28/42 + 12-34 cassette on a couple bikes for about a
year.  I enjoy 'em, and it doesn't feel like a give up much from my
other favorite drivetrain (24/36/46 +12-34) (yes, I ride really steep
hills a lot).  The wide range shifts just fine, not a problem.  Today
I took out my Gunnar CX bike, with the wide range double set up, and
we did about 4500' of climbing in 3 hours, parked in the lower gears
most of the time.  It's just about perfect for really hilly rides.  I
like the wide range triples, too - can't say I prefer one over the
other, I just like to have different set ups.  Both types of
drivestrains work perfectly for me.

As for tires, I threw a set of Schwalbe Kojaks on the Gunnar, mounted
on a set of Aksiums -- I love Aksiums, not too Rivish, but they are a
great way to have relatively inexpensive second (or third wheelset)
for a given bike.  Different tires give a bike a whole new personality
- - like today.  The Kojaks replaced a set of Marathon Supremes (also
on Aksiums), and I would say the Kojaks were noticeable more supple,
more fun on the twisty downhill stretches, and seemed really smooth
and comfy.  Great way to make a CX bike into a happy road warrior for
a long day. They seem at least as comfy and good in the corners as
Jack Browns.

For my two pence, I feel the same way about the Jack Borwns and the
Kojaks as I do about triples versus wide-range doubles -- either
choice is a good one, lots of fun, and you don't lose much by choosing
one over the other.

Blue skies, sunshine, and sore quads... a great day.