I would vote to go back to 700x32.  Also if you are trying to maximize
clearance, try a set of center pull brakes, if you are not using them
already and maybe ditch the daruma style mount and use a bracket that
mounts at the brake bolt. These are all things that I have done on my AHH
and other road bikes to gain clearance for fenders.