Patrick, keep in mind Grant mentions a few times shifting to a higher gear for
better traction (it also makes it easier to ride a smoother line, and easier in
“trough” trails to not whack the pedal into the dirt wall on either side).

Different bike geometry, a shorter wheelbase, but riding my Hunqabeam on the
Colorado trail recently I paid attention for a while to how often I am not
fully sitting on the saddle. Most of the time on a technical trail like that,
often just barely off the saddle, sometimes a fair bit up. And my saddle is
lower (the equivilant to shorter stirrups) than it used to be, which allows for
hitting the “sweet” spot power wise, like doing squats (the power sweet spot is
in the middle, leg half bent, so I have that at the 1 or 2 o’clock position of
the pedal stroke).

With abandon,
Patrick