Been reading the posts about crank wobble with interest. It's something
we've spent a lot of time thinking about. For our Rene Herse cranks, we
went beyond what is standard in the industry to ensure they run true: The
cranks are machined in special custom-made fixtures (one for each crank
length, since we use different forgings and the arm thickness also varies
with crank length) to make sure the spider arms don't deflect during
machining. We're confident the arms run as true as they can, and far better
than most cranks.

How do you get a wobble then? Every part has a tolerance – meaning it's
close to the value specified in the design, but not quite there. You can
reduce the tolerances – which increases the cost – but you cannot eliminate
them.

On a crank, four factors are the main culprits when there is a wobble:

1) the square taper on the spindle. This is the most important one, because
the radius of the spindle is so small. Even a tiny wobble gets translated
into a significant wobble at the chainring. Unfortunately, it's also one of
the hardest to machine, so it's not uncommon to have issues there. See
below how to address this.

2) the crank itself. The Rene Herse crank has to be machined to very high
tolerances, because the small BCD translates imperfections into a larger
wobble at the ring than you get with a larger BCD. Thanks to the tight
manufacturing tolerances, there is no problem here, unless the spider gets
bent if the bike falls over.

3) the interface between crank and chainring. Make sure there is no metal
shavings, etc., trapped between chainring and spider. All interfaces of the
Rene Herse cranks are machined at the same time, to eliminate issues that
one chainring tab might be out of alignment with the others.

4) the chainring. As you machine the chainring from a flat sheet, inbuilt
stresses are released. If you've worked with wood, you know this – as you
carve away, the wood may crack or warp. With aluminum, this is less of an
issue, but it still exists. Basically, even a perfectly flat sheet of
aluminum will look – very slightly – like a potato chip after machining.

If you are lucky, all the tolerances cancel out, and the crank runs
super-true. If you are unlucky, the tolerances stack up, and you get a
noticeable wobble, even though each part is fine by itself. What can you do
in that case?

a) Make sure everything is assembled correctly. Grease the spindle to make
sure the crank seats perfectly. Tighten the crank bolt enough to seat the
crank properly. When in doubt, use more torque. We've yet to see a busted
Rene Herse crank or broken crank bolt... (When cranks came loose, it's
usually because the bolts weren't tightened enough during the installation.)

b) Rotate the cranks 90°, 180° or 270° on the spindle. That way, you can
find where the tolerances cancel out.

c) Just as the arms can get bent in a fall, you can also true them. Spin
the crank and use a marker like a truing stand - you'll get a line where
the chainring has runout. Then put a piece of wood on the nearest chainring
bolt and hit it with a hammer. You need a good tap to bend the arm. We
don't usually recommend this, as you need to be a good mechanic, otherwise,
you'll probably make the problem worse. This allows you to adjust for all
the tolerances and make the rings run true. If you take off the crank, mark
the orientation on the BB spindle, so you mount it the same way.

d) The old tool for truing the chainrings (basically a lever with a slot)
doesn't work on Rene Herse cranks. The rings are machined from ultra-hard
7075 aluminum for wear resistance. 7075 cannot be bent. It springs back. If
you bend it too far, it'll snap – in theory. In practice, you'll have to
bend it almost 180° before it breaks.

The final question is how much wobble is acceptable. I'd say 3 mm is too
much, but if you get 1.5 mm, you'll never notice while riding. Your frame
flexes far more than that. That is also why you can't judge the chainring
wobble while looking down as you ride. You need to spin the cranks
backwards, so there is no load on the chain...

Reducing tolerances is mostly a question of money. A jet engine costs
upward of $ 10 million because of the extremely tight tolerances. There is
a Japanese jet engine parts maker, Gokiso, who makes bicycle hubs. They
cost a whopping $ 5000 for a set. I've seen them, and they do spin truer
than your average hubs, but I doubt I'd notice the difference on the road.

Jan Heine
Founder
Compass Cycles
www.compasscycle.com