My 4.5 year old son rides on the back of our cargo bike to/from daycare,
about 4 miles each way. Madison is a great place to ride a bike, and we
have a really nice route along some scenic and low-traffic streets. Last
week, a motorist caught up to us about a block after we rolled through an
unoccupied 4 way stop at the end of a little hill. We always roll through
this intersection; everyone does. Well, so this guy pulls up next to us and
and just screams, "YOU'RE SETTING A BAD EXAMPLE FOR YOUR KID!" and then
speeds off.

Yeah, so afterwards me and my son had a pretty good conversation about how
to appropriately display your emotions. As a four year old, that's a lesson
he's heard before, but I think it was nice (in a way) for him to see how
ugly it can be. My son also drew a connection with a book he was reading
about Star Wars and how Yoda teaches about how fear and anger lead to the
dark side. So... I think he got it. :)

That all being said. We're lucking enough to have a nice route, but I
really try to avoid sketchy/ high traffic roads, even ones with bike lanes.
It just kinda kills the vibe. We've also have had many good interactions
with motorists, even back when he was in a trailer. Someone once yelled at
me (which was weird) something like, "Your trailer is really visable, I
love the lights! You're a great dad!" That really made my day!

Kevin
In Madison, WI