That's a great retro build. I have an old mtb waiting for when my 8 year old
grows a bit more. Couldn't pass up a super high end 1994 diamondback when I saw
it on craigslist for $60 (even has some XTR bits!).

I will recommend looking at the Salsa kids mtbs. Rigid, 1x8, 20 and 24 inch
wheels sizes that both take 3 inch tires. I think Giant also makes a plus-tire
kids bike. The Salsa is a really incredible bike with extremely stable
geometry. He loves how it floats on grass like a fat bike would but is still
very fast on the street.

I'll post a link from my computer in a bit.

Brynnar
Indy