Andy and all,

Most of us (cyclists, pedestrians -- even drivers) seriously underestimate
our visibility to others, no matter what time of day or year it is.
Your mention of wearing "reflective vests" is worth adding some additional
details.

CLASS 2 SAFETY VESTS -- NOT RUNNER'S VESTS
I use and recommend wearing an ANSI "Class 2" reflective vest at night, in
traffic, or
wherever visibility is compromised (rain, fog,sleet, etc.). Combining a
neon lime or international orange vest made of
mesh or polyester fabric with wide reflective stripes visible 360 degrees
around (including vertically) works very well.
(Avoid cotton, vinyl, or canvas-like fabrics to ensure you won't drown in
your own sweat.)
My latest vest cost me $16 at Economy Lumber in Oakland, CA just three
months ago.

Your local hardware store, Home Despot/Lowe's, or safety supply outlet, as
well as U-Line, Grainger's, and other
business supply houses will have what you need. Make sure there is room
underneath for any
extra layers needed in very cold weather.

VISIBLE WORK GLOVES
I wear Custom Leather Craft (CLC) *#128 "High Visibility" *gloves (orange
with lime yellow and reflective accents, plus
device-friendly fingertips for those so inclined) year-round on my town
bike. In colder weather, I wear light liners or
fingerless cycling gloves underneath my CLC 128s. (Washing them regularly
renews their brightness, BTW.)
SEE: https://cdn.goclc.com/pdf/2018/work-gear-catalog.pdf (scroll down to
page 71) They are made of synthetic and breathable
materials so they work well in heat or cold.

CLC now has LIGHTED gloves, too: see p.74 of their catalog for their *# L
146 "Safety Viz Pro"* gloves,
a great way to "light up the night."

Wear a brightly-colored helmet and decorate it with liots of reflective
neon stickers.

Reflective legbands (available at many bike shops) are another year-round
essential for adequate "conspicuity."

Multiple flashing red lights (I lover my Planet Bike "Superflash" lights
and my even-brighter rechargeable 50-65 lumen tail light.
And don't forget one flashing white light and one steady white light up
front and/or on your helmet.

Safe travels to you all every night!

Jon Spangler
League Cycling Instructor #3175