A long lever fits and index finger rather nicely, great for reaching down
to the dt. Bar top shifting as I have used my Sun Tours since '84 is more
of a rotating motion like turning a key in a lock. Having a short thick
lever, more volume in hand, makes it bit easier for those tiny movements
than a long thin lever can.

Adapting dt levers top bar use seemed to me more out the lack of anyone
wanting to manufacture a Sun Tour-like shape. So everyone started copying
each other to build more adapters for levers and calling them
"thumbshiters" .  It's like buying a generic version of something and
saying "it works/tastes *like* the original, but it is most assuredly *unlike
it *".