Lum,

Big congrats on losing 33 pounds!

Weight of both you and your bikes are heading in the same direction :)

I have read a few posts from you making a case for a lighter Riv.  Now I'm
finally considering building one! Thinking whether to go with a Roadini or
MIT Hilsen.

Hilsen can be Jobst style go anywhere bike.

I ran into Riv brand while researching how to make my road bike more
comfier.  This is a modern road bike Reynolds tubing, Campy gruppo, etc.
 It is quite good.  I raised the handlebar with steer tube extender and
what not, but  the riding position (after 30 mins or so) never got to the
point of my liking. After riding Joe A with Albatross and later Bosco,
there was no going back.

The other evening I had prepped my road bike for riding up Mt Diablo next
morning.  But in the morning, 5 mins before starting to drive to Danville I
decided to pick up Joe A (who's 12 lbs heaver), knowing that a lot of
climbing.  This is how much I prefer the comfort that Grant's design offers
(riding position/frame design, road imperfections getting absorbed up by
the stem/handlebar/tire combo etc).  It was a harder to go up.  Took
longer.  Still I, somehow, enjoying being on Joe A's saddle than the other
bike.

Replacing the road bike with a Riv design might change things a bit.  While
for most (70%?) of the rides (around the town rides, grocery/farmers market
trips, sight seeing trips to close by towns, rides with kid trailer..) will
still happen on Joe A (who sports 2" Schwalbe Almotions or WTB horizon
depending on the week), there are times I'd enjoy riding riding a lighter
bike: when I'm in a mood to ride bike to work occasionally (21 miles each
way) or going up one of the many mountains around here, etc.

So begins a new bike project...