As an extension of this thread, a related question: what is our list's
lightest Rivendell? Be sure to describe build (fixed, 1XN, 3XN) and size
(48 or 64).

My 1999 Joe Starck gofast fixie custom, 26" wheels, weighs 18.1 lb with all
bolt-on parts but no strap on or slip in parts, a disappointing increase of
0.3 0.-- 04 lb after I weighed it on an expensive digital scale instead of
an apparently less accurate spring scale. Afterward, I could feel the added
weight slowing me down. Actually, it was probably the added flipside Dingle
and the second Iris cage that bumped up the weight.

But seriously, though it has a (gasp!) titanium spindle in the Phil 113 mm
bb assembly, and a (even more gasp!) titanium stem binder bolt, it also has
2X Phil hubs, no lightweights, and 360 gram/pr Dura Ace 7410 SPD pedals
(replacing the ti-spindled, magnesium bodied spds that weighed about 240
grams the pair. *And* in addition to the lightweight 15 t Surly track cog
on side A, it has a 17/19 Dingle on side B, which adds a good 100 grams.
("Speeds" are 76", 67", and a stump-pulling 60".) The rest of the build
bits were chosen for a best-mix of strength + weight + comfort and + style
(I admit it): Pro 5 Vis 46t single, 7410 seatpost, Nitto Tech Deluxe stem,
quill amputated (in the absence of a Pearl; the TD has much the same finish
as the later Pearls); A9 headset, original issue Flite, Iris cages, 7410
brake levers, left with lever proper removed, right pulling (IIRC; logo
long gone) Suntour S Pro caliper. Sun M14A 559 rims, Schwalbe lightweight
26" tubes, Compass Elk Pass tires, Lezyne bar tape, thinner model.

What prompted my question was stumbling via Bike Radar onto a YouTube of
the 2018 National Hill Climb Championships in England, where one
participant, a scrawny 20-something, said his fixed gear entry weighed 5.41
kilos (11.9 lbs). I realize that no Rivendell on this earth will get close
to that, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone got a medium-sized Roadeo
below 18.1, multiple gears, rear brake, and all. So, speak up, please.

Back to the present thread: over 20 years, this bike surprises me each time
I get back on it after riding others with its ease of pedaling -- it
"wants" me to pedal in a higher gear (76" versus the usual ~70"), and it is
easier to get up to speed in that higher gear as well as to maintain it on
the flats. It also climbs easier, even with the higher gear. It's
noticeably easier to pedal than the almost identical 2003 Curt, which of
course is built with fenders, lights, racks. That said, when Chauncey
Matthews hoisted the frameset to take it back to his workshop for
modifications last summer, he shrugged and said, "Not so light."

Hill Climb Championships: Does anyone know the typical slopes and
distances? And what gears the winners typically use? I couldn't find any of
this in googleworld.