I must say that this 1 cm difference in length (9 to 10) makes a
surprisingly big difference in comfort, despite the weight penalty (10
grams exactly). I'll have to just live with the weight for the sake of
comfort, but that's very Rivendellian-ish-ianesque, right?

And the bar is now 1/4" below saddle, not 1" -- it just looks low and mean.

I agree; the threadless system is more elegant in terms of means to end. I
just wish more people made better looking, silver threadless stems.