Patrick,

We (wife and me) have been friction shifting for oh, maybe 10 years now.
Mostly 9 speed because it works wonderfully....we just got rando-type bikes and
went to the dark side (11 speed drivetrain).  To be fair, both bikes came stock
with 11 speed.  We did appreciate the dual-control levers (Shimano Ultegra) but
I changed them out to microSHIFT 11 speed mountain (bar cons no less)
specifically for the friction mode (they also shift indexed with Shimano
Dyna-Sys mountain derailleurs).

Shifting works quite well!

Best,

Jeff