I'll add that time and an associated increased cost could be major factors.
 From the perspective of "older" to "newer", there is the Appaloosa ($1300)
to the Hillborne ($1400) to the latest Hilsen ($1500).  I know the Cheviot
could be considered an outlier in that logic, and in several ways, but it
does seem to me that the prices are increasing, at least to some degree,
just based on time and costs.

That said, I would love to know about tubing changes or specs that add to
the cost, not that there is anything wrong that I know of with the older
tubing.  I have a new Hilsen frame coming this next week so it will be
interesting to see (and ride once I get it built and the weather
cooperates) how it feels compared to other bikes.

Bob