I find the "difficulty braking from the hoods on non aero brakes" to be much
Ado about very little. Anybody with fairly reasonable hand strength can pull
that lever toward the handlebar from either position. The brake doesn't know
where your hand is. I wonder if maybe there were levers way back in time that
were extremely hard to pull, and that's where this truism came from. I brake
from the hoods on non aero brakes all the time with zero issues.